As a general contractor, it can be hard to find the subs you need to get projects done on time. Great subs are worth their weight in gold, and it seems like there are never enough available, especially in certain trades.
In 2015, the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) reported that GCs use an average of 22 subcontractors to build a single family home and 70% of builders use between 11 and 30 subs. Additionally, the NAHB found that the average share of construction costs subcontracted for a new home was 77%.
Finding great subs
While you might have an existing rolodex of subs that you trust, it’s always helpful to have access to more subs in case your usual people are unavailable, your business is growing quickly, something happens on a work site, etc etc.
Whether you’re looking for subs for a project starting next week or in 4 months, you now have another source for finding great subs: Workyard.
Access a fast growing network of subs
Workyard is a network for the construction industry that connects GCs with pre-screened subs and workers that are available to work in their area. Workyard has over 30,000 GCs, subs and workers in Southern California and is growing at a steady clip.
Finding subcontractors on Workyard is as easy as specifying the trade(s) you need and then posting your project details. Whether you need a carpenter, concreter, drywaller, plumber, steel fabricator, tiler or electrician, you can find a capable sub on Workyard.
And the best part: posting a job on Workyard is free.
GCs have found success on Workyard (stats for Greater LA area)
- Over 70% of GCs who post a job and receive bids on Workyard return to post another job
- At least 50 subs will be notified of your job opportunity within hours of your job post (the number varies based on the trade you’re looking for)
- Over 80% of GCs who post their jobs on Workyard receive 3+ competitive bids (bids within the stated budget)
How it works (posting a job takes 5 minutes)
- Visit workyard.com and select the trade you need to hire for.
- Mark the location where you’re hiring
- Workyard will scan our network for people in your area
- Set the deadline for your bid
- Set the project timeline
- Set the project requirements
- For example: crew, license, general liability
- Select the type of project (Remodel, new home construction, commercial)
- Describe the specific tasks required for the project. You can upload photos and project plans here (will be kept private until you begin messaging with a sub)
- Enter location of job site (will also be kept private until you begin messaging with a sub)
- Indicate the project status (bidding, awaiting permits, underway)
- Set the budget and indicate if you need sub to supply materials
- Enter your contact information so you can be connected with subs who are available and qualified for your job
If you have any questions or feedback, feel free to add a comment below. We’d love for you to give Workyard a try and let us know what you think.